Johnnie Walker: Joy Will Take You Further
Short Form Video Case Study
September 2015. Johnnie Walker was planning to launch its new global branding campaign around the philosophy of ‘Joy taking you further’. It posed the following questions:
- How could we leverage Johnnie Walker’s McLaren Formula 1 team sponsorship to create a story that would bring its campaign messaging to life?
- How could we create this story in a format that would earn media, tapping into the huge global reach of Formula 1?
- How could we time its release so this piece of editorial would be seen on TV, just as the TV ad launches, increasing the impact of Johnnie Walker’s campaign?
- The feature brought Johnnie Walker’s brand messaging to life in an editorial format that earnt media
- It was aired in over 131 countries by broadcasters including SKY, TV3, Network 10, Fox Sports Asia amongst others
- Delivered over 20 million viewers
- A media value of $1.8 million
We leveraged Johnnie Walker’s access to McLaren F1 ambassadors, crafting a story its ‘Talent Influencers’ could tell.
Knowing that F1 broadcasters have a need for entertaining, high production value features to run in their pre-race shows, we created a 3 minute piece of editorial in a style and tone that could be dropped straight into their shows.
The story was based around Jenson expressing his philosophy that a positive, joyful mindset has underpinned his progress – and in turn – the incredible success he has enjoyed throughout his career. This was endorsed by contributions from Eric Boullier, McLaren Team Boss, and Mike Collier, Jenson’s Sports Scientist and Physiotherapist.
This approach offered Johnnie Walker the chance to tell a longer story than an advertisement allows, giving it an authentic, editorial platform to articulate its brand philopsophy. Johnnie Walker branding is integrated throughout the piece in a natural and editorially-justified manner.
Shoots were set up in London at the McLaren Technology Centre, and in Singapore to give the piece a topical flavour as the feature would be released at the Singapore Grand Prix, a day after the advertising campaign launched.
By shooting in Singapore in the week preceding the GP and editing through the night, we created a fast-turnaround feature that broadcasters could air instantly during the race weekend.
Additionally, a variety of digital versions were created for different platforms and different audiences.
The fully edited feature – with different level of sponsor branding suitable for different broadcasters and platforms – was distributed to F1 TV channels for use in their pre-race shows during the Singapore Grand Prix, and for distribution online.